What is International Court of Justice Main Function?

The Main Function of International Court of Justice

The International Court of Justice is the main judicial organ of the United Nations. This World Court is chaired by 15 judges, all of them from different countries, elected by the General Assembly and the Security Council. The International Court of Justice only handles legal disputes between countries in accordance with international law, and does not accept legal disputes between individuals. A country may not participate in litigation if it does not want to, unless special treaty provisions require it to participate. Once a country accepts the jurisdiction of the court, it must obey its judgment.

 

Election of ICJ Judges

The 15 judges of the International Court of Justice are elected by the General Assembly and the Security Council for a term of nine years, each independently exercising their functions and powers. The court must not have two judges who are nationals of the same country.

These judges are reelected by one third every three years, and retired judges can be re-elected. Judges of the International Court of Justice do not represent their respective governments and are independent judges.

 

Location of International Court of Justice

The International Court of Justice is located in the “Peace Palace” in The Hague, the Netherlands. The building was built by the Carnegie Foundation, a non-profit private institution, for the headquarters of the permanent International Court of Justice, the predecessor of the International Court of Justice. The United Nations makes annual donations to the Carnegie Foundation for using this building.

Logo and seal of International Court of Justice, ICJ

Building style of ICJ

After a lot of debate and international competition, with the support of the Carnegie Foundation, the Peace Palace designed by French architect Louis Cordoni is now located in The Hague, Netherlands. Since 1913, this is the seat of the International Court of Justice and its predecessor.

 

Premises of International Court of Justice, ICJ

Since 1946, the International Court of Justice, like the Permanent International Court of International Union, has occupied premises provided by the Carnegie Foundation of the Netherlands, which owns and manages the Peace Palace.

In 1978, a new house was built behind the old house of the Peace Palace as a judge’s office and the courtroom of the International Court of Justice. The building was expanded in 1997 to accommodate the additional ad hoc judges. In the same year, the top floor of the old building was renovated to provide new offices for the officials of the Registry of the International Court of Justice.



Share on Social Media for Personal Safety and Professional Development of all >>

Follow this Publication for Most Advanced Information ]] 

Post a comment

0 Comments